Saturday, April 16, 2011

work (non) life balance

This topic had been intriguing to me ever since i moved into the consulting role. As HR consultants (perceived to be advisers) we often recommend to bring a cultural shift focusing on "work life balance" for employees. Today after a very long time, i decided to pen my thoughts, after identifying myself to be a victim of "work life balance" disease. Late last evening, while trying to forcefully put myself to sleep, my mind was wandering about "leadership crisis" in a client's place. I was trying very hard to keep my thoughts away, but like my 3 year old son, more thoughts and questions were getting popped up.

I took the break from attempting to sleep (paradox of work life, we always want to take break from work to get rest!!) and laid down in the couch for a while, thinking "what's happening to me?". The preoccupation of mind on the work was stealing away my energy and cheers, many at times, i recalled. I could recollect instances when i was portraying angry face to my little son while i was working lat night sitting ay my residence. I now remember, how often my son used to ask " why are you keep working and going to office?", as most of the times, he used to observe me glued into my laptop working on something or other.

It is needless to say that, mot of us today in the corporate world are singing the same tune " we are stressed and no time for families". One of my friend working with a large MNC product development company recently called to me say" i used to crawl like a cockroach to my house and lay down in the bed by 11.30 evening and just to ensure that i need to be ready for office by 8.30 in the morning, next day".

I found this scenario is true for many of us leaving little or no time for "life" - be it spending happy and smiling moments with family, meeting friends or calling up friends/relatives to say a hello, pursuing hobbies, self introspection, the list goes on..........

Where are we faltering? Many at times, not able to say NO to either our manager or to client. We incessantly, carry the load on our shoulder (which most often than not never appreciated, as it is considered to be "ought to be done") with all priority to work than life, with never ending hunger for position, compensation etc mandated by societal norms for status. It is easy to propagate fitness, meditation, keep office work at work space etc to ensure better balance between work and life, however, whilst practicing might be hard to continue

I personally had decided not to work during weekends and hence used to plan the schedules in that fashion. This measure does seem to be working fine with me, at least the initiation has started in that direction. I believe in the adage "something is better than nothing". Hope slowly i can do justice to "work life balance, thought may not be 50:50 but managing at 65:35 might still be acceptable to me

Will come back with more thoughts and measures (if i have any & better ones)

No comments: